Sunday, June 21, 2015

Nervous?.....

I’ve been writing for a long time, more years than I care to think about in fact. My first ‘novel’ was written manually on two A4 pads of notepaper, it was probably less than 40,000 words and I wore out the nib of a fountain pen writing it. It has long ago been consigned to the great trash bin in the sky and the story has never been re-written.

After that I acquired an old manual typewriter and used it to write my stories. I was never a great typist. I’m still not, although, when the creative juices are flowing, I can manage a fairly respectable speed just using a couple of fingers and I don’t make too many errors. Then along came the computer era, of course, and my output increased ten fold.

That was about the time I started to think about writing seriously. I entered competitions and finally joined a very small writing group at my local library. Up to that time my stories had been just for me and, if I was feeling brave, any competition judges I cared to trust with my work. The writing group changed that and introduced me to reading what I’d written aloud in front of an audience.

As I said, that first group was very small, no more than half a dozen of us and I think that helped me to overcome the nerves of reading to an audience. I’ve been a member of much larger creative writing groups since then and I’ve gotten used to reading my work to fellow writers who would offer helpful hints and constructive criticism. I don’t mind that, they know the torture of trying to produce a polished piece. One thing I have never done though, is read something I’ve written to you, the reading public.


Somehow the opportunity has never arisen but that is going to change next Saturday, June 27th. On that day I shall be at the Tamarack, here in West Virginia. They are holding an event called the West Virginia Writer’s Weekend. I will have a table and will be selling my books but I am also going to do a reading. At 12:30 I shall be on stage with fifteen minutes to try to enthrall an audience with one of my short stories. At the moment I am not too nervous about it but I have a feeling that will change so, if any of you good people are near the Tamarack on Saturday the 27th, I could certainly use your support. 

1 comment: